Sunday, September 8, 2013

Eaten by the Bear - Tom Barczak - Biggest Aha Moments



There’s a story of a group of people who went for a walk in the woods.

Only one of the poor souls came back.

The group had been attacked by a bear.

Everyone was, of course, grief stricken, and wondered how the lucky soul returning had been fast enough to get away when his companions hadn’t.

“It was quite simple, really.” The wise soul said.

“You don’t have to be faster than the bear.  You just need to be faster than the person behind you.”

This was one of my biggest “Ah ha” moment as a writer, the day I first heard this. 

For me, it was I didn’t see how I would ever get published.  And I had so many excuses.  But it was in that moment that I realized - so did everybody else, and that most people don’t ever get away from them.

They quit.  They give up.  They quit running. And they get eaten by the bear.

But I don’t have to be.

As long as I just.  Keep.  Writing.






No comments: