Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Why I'm a YA Novelist - Charles Day - Biggest Aha! Moments in Writing



WHAT, I’M A YA NOVELIST? BIGGEST AH-HA MOMENT FROM CHARLES DAY
My Ah-Ha moment was when I first realized I was a YA novelist. I never expected this to happen. When I wrote my very first novel, DEEP WITHIN, (Alter Press, fall 2013) years ago, it was certainly adult orientated. When I finally finished THE LEGEND OF THE PUMPKIN THIEF, (Noble Publishers) I never thought it would be YA. My main protagonist, Nick was 18 and off to college. When I saw a YA submission from Noble Publishers, I figured I’d take a chance though. Maybe it could be YA, based on my characters age.  Soon after, they wanted it, but told me I needed to bring Nick down to a sixteen- year-old. After months of editing and eventually publication for Pumpkin Thief, I found I loved writing YA.  But I set out to do a western horror, pulp style next, and I never plunged into my new imaginary world thinking it would ever become YA.

When I wrote the first book in my western horror/fantasy trilogy, HUNT FOR THE GHOULISH BARTENDER (Blood Bound Books June, 2013) my protagonist was nearing forty. I had prostitutes throats being slashed, ghouls chomping on flesh and brains, and more. When It was accepted for publication, the publishers told me flat out, “this is YA, Charles. “ They also informed me I needed to bring Kyle down to sixteen. They said the story was already perfect for YA readers, and now having Kyle at the right age, we began months of edits to get it all to attract teenagers and young adult readers. Therefore, the prostitutes had to go, and we needed to scale down the violence some. But the adventure, more of a heroic fantasy was born. And so I’m told, will be more of exciting read for teens and us young at heart folk.

With that said, this was a real eye-opener for me. Well, I have to say, I totally love writing YA now and have two novels-in-progress, a young teen (SUMMER CAMP) and a new YA book (IMMMORTAL FAMILY)in the works. I’ve always enjoyed reading YA too. I’ve written one more adult novel, REDEMPTION, which was done before my AH-HA moment, and it’s already attracting a few publishers and an agent. However, I believe I’ve found my calling and will continue writing for the young adult population going forward, which includes my very first comic based on my western trilogy, which those involved feel will attract the YA comic readers.





Recipient of the HWA Silver Hammer Award , 2013

He's published 14 short stories with various small press publishers. His biggest success to date is the forthcoming  YA western horror trilogy, KYLE McGERRT, DESTROYER OF THE INDIAN CURSES, BOOK ONE: THE HUNT FOR THE GHOULISH BARTENDER (Blood Bound Books, June 2013)

His published works available now:

Bram Stoker Award®-nominated YA novel, LEGEND OF THE PUMPKIN THIEF (Noble YA Publishers LLC.), his mystery novelette THE PLAN (Naked Snake Press) and his horror novella LOCKDOWN (Included in Hannibal's Manor, Wicked East Press) which received an endorsement from four-time Bram Stoker award winning author, Lisa Morton.

He also edited his first anthology TALES OF TERROR & MAYHEM FROM DEEP WITHIN THE BOX (Evil Jester Press Aug, 2012) compiled with 22 terrifying stories by amazingly talented authors.
He’s the owner/founder of Evil Jester Press & Evil Jester Comics, and publisher of Hidden Thoughts Press (nonfiction)

Charles Day M.P.A., B.A.,
Horror Writers Association  Mentor Program, Committee Chairperson
Horror Writers Association NY/LI Chapter, Co-Chair
New England Horror Writers Association, Member
Recipient of the Silver Hammer Award, 2013
Author of the Bram Stoker Award® nominated  YA novel LEGEND OF THE PUMPKIN THIEF (Noble Young Adult Publishers)  and the forthcoming YA western horror/fantasy trilogy, THE ADVENTURES OF KYLE McGERRT: BOOK 1: THE HUNT FOR THE GHOULISH BARTENDER (Blood Bound Books Publishers, spring 2013)
Owner/Founder Evil Jester Press & Evil Jester Comics
Owner/Founder Hidden Thoughts Press (non-fiction, Mental Wellness)
eviljestercomics.com

No comments: